1. Which of the following is most consistent with humanistic psychology?
a. exercising freedom of choice in a chaotic world
b. a need to absorb the patient's pain
c. a respect for the concept "cure"
d. faith in the essential worth of the whole person
2. Which of the following statements best characterized the phenomenological
a. clear one's mind of presuppositions
b. do unto others as they do unto you
c. render to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's
d. what does not overwhelm me makes me stronger
3. Which of the following is Rogers' conception of self-actualizing
a. a person who engages in a lifelong process of realizing his or her potentialities to become a fully functioning person
b. persons who do the best they are capable of doing, and who develop themselves to the most complete stature possible for them
c. persons who strive from a felt minus to a felt plus situation by engaging all the inner strength they can muster
d. a person who must excel at whatever she or he attempts whether in the realm of work, love, or art
4. To Rogers the self is functionally equivalent to
a. the personality
b. the self-concept
c. the junction of conscious and unconscious processes
d. emotions, cognitions, and perceptions occurring at a given moment
5. Defensiveness is illustrated by
a. reaction aimed at maintaining the self in the face of contradictory information
b. one of those several Freudian mechanisms that Rogers put to good use
c. the same as "denial"
d. the same as "distortion"
6. Which of the following allows the person to pursue self-actualization?
a. release from the tyranny of the shoulds
b. developing insight during therapy
c. welding archetypes to consciousness
d. overcoming inferiority
7. According to Rogers, all of the following are necessary conditions
for productive therapy, except one? Which is NOT a necessary condition?
a. accurate empathic understanding
c. initial, mutual liking on the part of client and therapist
d. positive regard
8. All except one of the following are contributions of Rogers. Which
is NOT a contribution?
a. development of the Adjective Check List
b. an understanding of persons
c. appreciation of the role of caring interpersonal relations in personality growth
d. demonstrations of scientific openness and theoretical flexibility
9. According to Rogers, the organismic propensity for actualization
is true of all of the follow except one. For which of the following is
the propensity for actualization NOT true?
10. Rogers the therapist has been criticized for
a. his stoic silence during therapy
b. his unwillingness to offer clients advice
c. being authoritarian during therapy
d. forcing clients to continue in therapy for years