1. Which was a difference between Rogers and Maslow?
a. they had different sexual orientations
b. their family backgrounds were different
c. only one of them was a humanis
d. their assumptions about people were very different
2. All except one of the following were among Maslow's mother's alleged
cruelties? Which was N0T among those cruelties?
a. she broke his prized 78 RPM records
b. she subjected him to "religious harassment"
c. she killed his kitten
d. she stole the money he had carefully saved
3. Needs, according to Maslow, are
a. opposite to motives
b. motion-propelling organization directed toward goals
c. simple tensions that demand to be satisfied
d. satisfactions that are sought by all humans
4. "Do people live by bread alone?" (Maslow)
a. yes, always
b. yes, except when bread is prohibited by culture
c. no, all people can always deny the needs of the flesh
d. no, when bread is plentiful other needs emerge
5. All of the following are true of self-actualization, according to
Maslow, except one. Which is NOT true of self-actualization?
a. potentially, everyone can become self-actualized
b. it is becoming what one potentially is
c. it is not a deficiency need
d. it is becoming everything that one is capable of being
6. What was Maslow's view of human nature?
a. there is no such thing
b. nurture is more important than nature
c. same as Rogers': all humans are equal
d. it is inborn
7. According to a view that Maslow rejects, how does the infant learn
a. classical conditioning
b. instrumental conditioning
c. associative learning
d. emotive learning
8. Which best characterizes the example self-actualized person?
a. well rounded
b. deeply turned inward
c. a citizen of the world
d. he is his ethnicity
9. What would Eupsychia be like?
a. like any other commune, but without authoritarian leadership
b. prone to valuing what is simple, loving, and unselfish
c. a paradise in which each person has what she or he wants out of life
d. a new form of life style in which people are permitted to pursue whatever they want
10. All except one of the following are criticisms lodged against Maslow's
conceptions of self-actualization? Which is NOT a criticism?
a. Maslow arrived at self-actualization by proclaiming "super personalities" as experts on self-actualizing
b. Maslow's sample of "super personalities" was small and arbitrarily selected
c. Maslow's selections of "super personalities" were personal, after the fact, and biased toward Western culture
d. Maslow's used myself as a standard for judging whether a candidate "super personality" was worthy of being included in his sample