1. Which of the following is most true of the ego?
a. it is the arm of the id
b. it commands the other personality structures
c. it is wholly conscious
d. it is impractical
2. All of the following are true regarding superego operation, except
one. Which is NOT true of superego operation?
b. seeking perfection
c. inhibiting sexual and aggressive needs
d. rejecting parents' renditions of society's rules
3. Delaying gratification and retaining objects results from
a. being oral receptive
b. childhood experiences of having to retain the feces
c. being oral retentive
d. childhood experiences of over-indulgence
a. makes threatening material unavailable for recall
b. involves casting our unacceptable traits onto other people
c. allows us to excuse unacceptable behavior
d. produces behavior designed to reverse the effects of undesirable behavior
5. During the latency period
a. children are especially sexually active
b. children are sexually disinterested
c. children regress to pre-Phallic stages
d. children give up their fixations
6. What technique did Freud try and abandon because it provided only
temporary solutions to patients' problems?
c. laying on of hands
7. All of the following are conclusions regarding the degree of empirical
support for Freud ideas, except one. Which was NOT a conclusion about support
for Freud's ideas?
a. there is no evidence for an "unconscious"
b. Motley's spoonerism studies failed to support Freud's "slips of the tongue" in any way
c. Anderson's work with subjects' recollections of others who were partially similar to significant cannot be stretched to support transference
d. Raskin and Shaw showed that persons scoring high on a Narcissism test used "I" and "me" more than low scorers
8. The superego strives for
a. mastery of guilt
b. 100% perfection
c. love in its purest sense
d. satisfaction of the ego
9. Which of the following is solely below awareness (iceberg)?
10. Which is the principle of the superego?